Most food is made up largely of water, even stuff that is "dried" or "dehydrated" often will have more water in it than meets the eye. Water is the solvent in which most food reactions take place and is a good place to start our explorations into what really happens when food is "cooking" (a fairly ambiguous word that could mean any number of chemical reactions that take place from the time that cells start forming until after you swallow, but generally accepted to mean an application of heat to the food). There are so many things to talk about with water, most of you probably already know that it is made up of two hydrogen atoms bonded together with an oxygen atom.
I think I'm going to start there anyway because the nature of these atoms account for a lot of the coolest properties that water has. I warn you now that the next few posts may be filled with "boring science", but I think it is absolutely awesome and will try and convince you that it is awesome too. So stay tuned!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment